No products in the cart.
Salt Codfish Fritters (Bacalaitos)
Bacalaítos are salt cod fritters filled with minced codfish. Make the bite-sized salt cod fritters with a delectable Spanish allioli for the perfect finger food. Serve with lemon wedges and garlic mayo for dipping.
- 500 g salt cod fillets soaked and drained
- 2 cup flour all-purpose
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large garlic cloves; crushed
- ¼ red pepper diced
- ¼ green pepper diced
- ¼ onion finely diced
- ½ Scotch bonnet chilli seeded and finely chopped (use ½ green chilli for a milder version )
- 1 tablespoon cilantro
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon annatto oil
- vegetable oil for shallow frying
- Soak codfish in cold water overnight in the refrigerator.(Change the water at least 3 times ~ have also heard that it is good when soaked in milk)
- Drain, rinse and place in a small saucepan.
- Pour boiling water over the fish and allow to stand 5 minutes.
- Remove any bones and skin and shred the fish.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a bowl, make a batter by whisking together the flour, baking powder, eggs Adobo and water.
- When smooth, mix in the garlic, red pepper, green pepper, onion (finely diced) cilantro and shredded fish.
- Mix to a smooth batter.
- Add the shredded fish and mix well.
- Heat oil to 370F in a deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan.
- Fry the mixture by teaspoonfuls until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels, keep warm and serve hot with the allioli and lemon wedges. as hors-d’aeuvres.