Beef and Quinoa Meatballs with your Best Italian Sauces
- 1 kg 2 pounds 93% lean ground beef
- ⅔ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ diced onion
- ¼ cup zucchini
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- ¼ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients through and including the black pepper. Mix thoroughly by hand, being careful not to over-mix except olive oil.
- In large baking sheet brush with oil.
- Roll each meatball to just under the size of a golf ball and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 375˚F degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Layer sliced onion on bottom of slow cooker insert, add 1 can of crushed tomatoes and ½ the can of peeled tomatoes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ½ tbsp to the pan and, when the oil is shimmering, add a few meatballs to brown-about 1 minute on each side. Be careful not to crowd the pan. When browned snuggle them down into the tomato sauce in the cooker, stacking as more are browned.
- When all are browned add the white wine to the pan and deglaze, scraping the brown bits off of the bottom of the pan. Allow the wine to reduce to half then add it to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining crushed and peeled tomatoes to the cooker, making sure that all of the meatballs are covered.
- Cook on high for 45 mins or low for 2 hours.