Chicken Parmesan Meatballs
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4. cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoon fresh herbs, like basil, parsley, thyme, oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large egg
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 450 grams spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- In a large bowl, combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, Parmesan, parsley, half the garlic, and egg and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix until fully combined, then form into meatballs.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add olive oil.
- Add onions and cook until very soft and golden
- Add half of the jar of tomato sauce to the bottom of baking dish (or a baking sheet, or oven-safe skillet).
- Add meatballs and brown each side, 5 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in the sauce, about 1-inch apart.
- Cover each meatball with a bit more sauce and top with the grated mozzarella or provolone.
- In a large oven proof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet.
- Add remaining half garlic and cook until fragrant, 1 minute, then stir in crushed tomatoes and red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a simmer, then return meatballs to skillet. Cook (bake) the meatballs for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the center of the meatballs reach 165 degrees F.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the spaghetti. Cook the spaghetti in salted water as the directions call for, then place it in a large pot or bowl. Drizzle to 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil. When the garlic cloves have finished roasted and they are caramely, squeeze the cloves out of the paper and into the spaghetti. You can gently mash them with a fork if you wish. Stir in the ¼ cup of parmesan cheese.
- Top with mozzarella and bake until cheese is melted and chicken is no longer pink, 10 minutes more.
- Serve with the meatballs once they are finished!Garnish with parsley and fresh basil before serving.