Cilantro Oat Black Bean Burgers
- 2 cups cooked (or canned) black beans
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup cooked whole-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar or cheese substitute
- 1 large onion
- 1 large handful of cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce
- 1 to 2 cups fresh bread crumbs made fromsprouted bread (or gluten free bread)
- Coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- Peel and grate the onion. Chop the cilantro.
- Rinse the black beans thoroughly. In a mediumbowl, combine the beans, oats, rice, nutritionalyeast, and cheese. Mix with your hands.
- In a blender, combine the onion, cilantro,coriander, paprika, mustard, and tamari. Blendjust until mixed.
- Add the onion mixture to the bean mixture andmix well, adding salt to taste.
- After mixing, adjust salt if necessary to taste.Add the bread crumbs and mix with yourhands until the mixture is firm to the touch andno longer sticky. You will find that the breadcrumbs and oats absorb the moisture and it willbecome harder to mix.
- Form the mixture into ten to twelve 3/4-inchthick patties
- Heat a Swiss Diamond 12.5” fry pan overmedium heat. Add a little coconut oil. Frypatties until lightly brown and heated through,about 1 minute per side.
refrigerated, for up to 5 days.