Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fusilli or rotini
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 slices bacon chopped
- 1 large sweet onion halved and thinly
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken
- breast trimmed and cut into 1-inch
- 1 medium green bell pepper sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning see Tip
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook
- pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or ac-
- cording to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a Dutch oven over
- medium heat. Add bacon and onion and cook,
- stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown,
- EatingWell Healthier Recipes
- about 2 minutes. Add chicken, bell pepper,
- garlic, Cajun seasoning and pepper. Cook stir-
- ring, until the onion and bell pepper are begin-
- ning to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to coat. Add tomatoes and
- their juice; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring
- often, until the sauce is bubbling and thick-
- ened and the chicken is cooked through,
- about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in
- sour cream.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce. Serve sprin-
- kled with scallions, if desired.
mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrate;
0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 6 g fiber; 656
mg sodium; 691 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Vitamin C (53% daily value),
Vitamin A (23% dv), Iron (21% dv), Magnesium
& Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 21/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 lean
meat, 1 fat