Penne Ala Vodka & Smoked Salmon (Pennette al salmone affumicato e vodka)
- 12 oz penne pasta
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole shallot — thinly sliced
- 4 whole roma tomatoes — seeded and chopped
- 250 ml thickened cream
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoon fresh dill — chopped
- 1/3 cup vodka
- 150 g smoked salmon — cut into strips
- 120 g unsalted butter
- 1 white pepper
- 1 sprig fresh dill
- Cook pasta and drain well.
- Heat oil in a wide frying pan over medium-low heat.
- Sauté the butter and Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until soft but not brown (about 3 minutes)over a high heat, until slightly golden.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream, nutmeg, choped dill, vodka, lemon juice and zest. Simmer. Reduce heat.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a full boil. Boil for 1 minute.
- Add pasta to sauce and mix lightly using 2 spoons, until pasta is well coated.
- Remove from heat, add salmon and mix lightly.
- Season to taste with white pepper and garnish with dill springs.