Pork, Apple & Miso Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 12 ounces lean ground pork (see Tips)
- 2 tart firm apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 8 ounces udon noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4 cup white miso (see Tips)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Stir in apples and cook, stirring occasion-ally, until just beginning to soften, about 2 minutes more. Add broth and water; bring to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to the package directions, stirring occasionally.
- When the noodles are almost done, carefully scoop out about 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid from the pan and combine with miso. Stir the miso mixture into the soup and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.
added sugars; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 767 mg sodium; 479 mg potassium.
Nutrition bonus: Magnesium (25% daily value), Zinc (19% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 31/2
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 fruit, 21/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat