Smoked Salmon Bites With Lemon Balm On Pumpernickel
- 6 slice pumpernickel bread cut in squares; - 4 squares per slice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh lemon balm
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 salt and pepper; to taste
- 4 oz cream cheese; at room temp. or
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 lb smoked salmon - thinly sli; ced
- 1 small red onion - thinly sliced in rings
- 1 lemon slices
- 1 lemon balm sprig
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, plus more for garnish
- Spread pumpernickel squares with butter. Whisk cream cheese and sour cream in a bowl. Season to taste with capers, chives, lemon balm with lemon juice, salt, pepper and cream cheese. Pipe some of the creamed mixture on each cutout of bread, top with a small piece of salmon on top of each square, then a red onion ring.
- Arrange on serving platter; Sprinkle with remaining chives and serve.
- Variation: Use chopped chives or dill instead of lemon balm.