Sweet & Savory Grilled Chicken
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper or freshly ground black pepper
- 1-11/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Note)
- Combine brown sugar, dry mustard, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Coat both sides of chicken with the rub up to 30 minutes before grilling or broiling.
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position a rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- To grill: Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the chicken, turning once, until an instant-read ther-mometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side. To broil: Line a broiler pan (or baking sheet) with foil and coat with cooking spray. Place the chicken on the foil. Broil, watching carefully and turning at least once, until an instant-read ther-mometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 10 to 15 minutes total
1 g mono);
63 mg cholesterol;
3 g carbohydrate;
2 g added sugars;
23 g protein;
0 g fiber;
196 mg sodium;
198 mg potassium.
Note: It’s difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Re-
moving the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breast—the chicken ten-
der—removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. If you can only
find chicken breasts closer to 8- to 9-ounce each, you’ll only need 2 breasts for 4 serv-
ings—cut each one in half before cooking. Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a
folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)